COLLEGE ELECTRIC LTD.
Electrical, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
A Lennox Dealer
In the 1950s, College Electric became acquainted with Lennox Industries and soon thereafter was established as a Lennox Dealer offering its customers complete heating, ventilation and air conditioning services, in addition to its already proven and well trusted electrical services.
In 2006, College Electric received a 50-year Lennox Dealership award as an acknowledgement for their long-term relationship with Lennox Industries. In the same year, College Electric acquired the distinguished status as a Premier Lennox Dealer, in recognition of the high quality work performed by the company in the HVAC industry, along with its exemplary service record to customers.
Harry Monk Sr., Founder of College Electric
Harry Monk Jr. with a valued customer in the 1950s
Phyllis Monk and Harry Monk Jr. in front of College Electric when it was located at College St. and Portage Avenue.
College Electric Ltd. was established in 1924 by Harry Monk Sr., who was a journeyman electrician. He operated the business from a location at College St. and Portage Avenue in St James. College Street later was renamed to Collegiate Street, a name that stands today.
Harry's wife, Phyllis assisted in the operation of the business in the early days, running the store, assisting with customers and undertaking general operational duties.
Harry Monk Jr. 2006
The Family Business Expands
Harry Monk Jr. joined his father in 1947 to work at College Electric. In the 1950s, Harry`s wife Jean began working in the business as well, and together they continued to operate College Electric until September 2009, when the couple retired. Their daughter Pam assumed the role of President in early 2010.
Through the efforts and initiative of Harry Jr. and Jean, the business continued to develop and expand its residential and commercial electrical services to the community.
Harry, Jr. earned his journeyman electrician license while employed with his father and went on to earn numerous electrical and illumination designations and awards throughout his career. For example, he designed and installed the electrical infrastructure for the first all electric motel in Winnipeg.
Growth & Movement
College Electric moved to 1919 Portage Avenue in the 1950s where it operated until 1978; from there, it relocated to 268 Albany St. at Bruce Avenue, where it continues to operate today.
Over the years, College Electric has become an icon in the St. James-Assiniboia community, having achieved a very strong presence in the industry not only in the area, but also throughout Manitoba for providing quality service to its customers.